Philemon Missionary Baptist Church - "A Loving Church"
Title
You need Flash Player in order to view this.
The Pastor, Rev. A.L. Davis, along with approximately fifty other baptized believers in Christ assembled together on the night of June, 1947 for the purpose of organizing a church.  The meeting was held at the True Love Baptist Church, 167 Prince St., Newark, NJ, Rev. W.H. Pitts, Pastor.
 
Rev. Davis,after much prayer and meditation submitted the name Philemon Missionary Baptist Church which was accepted.  They believed that with God they would succeed, and succeed they did.  For on that night Philemon Missionary Baptist was born.  After a very short time, they moved to the Mt. Olive Baptist Church on Charlton St., where the late Rev. W.W Fleming was pastor.  Mount Olive Baptist Church held their service at 11:00am and Philemon held their service at 2:00pm.
 
The congregation grew rapidly, therefor it became necessary to look for a church home.  Within a few months they purchased a church building and a parsonage at 134 Charlton St., Newark, NJ.  They proudly marched in that same year October, 1947.
 
The church continued to grow.  After a few years, they began to contemplate on a larger edifice.  Rev. Davis along with the officers began to negotiate for the property which included a church and parsonage at 280-282 Peshine Ave. The property of Charlton St. location was sold and we were able to pruchase the new property on Peshine Ave. In February, 1958 we moved into ur new church home.  We were there only a short time when Rev. Davis was called from labor to his reward.  A pulpit committee was appointed and the late Rev. William Coleman was installed on the fourth Sunday in October of 1959.  In 1968 we purchased our present church site at 246 Shephard Ave., Newark, NJ.  We moved in on Palm Sunday, 1998.  Rev. William Coleman served Philemon for 21 years.  Our current Pastor, Rev. Edward A. Allen was called to serve on May 1, 1981 as the churches 3rd pastor.  He began his active pasturage on May 10th. God has heard the prayers of Philemon and has given us a shpherd and we thank God for His mercies.
 
Location:
246 Shephard Avenue
Newark, New Jersey 07112
(973) 926-8605
 
 
 
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint